Rosie is a tank engine who idolises Thomas.
Rosie is a friendly, respectful, and helpful tank engine who likes Thomas very much. She and Thomas like to have fun and also like to help each other when they are doing work. Rosie could be described as a feisty, energetic and free-spirited tomboy who is not afraid to do hard work. She loves to race just as much as she loves to be Really Useful.
Rosie is based on a SR USA Class 0-6-0T. Originally classified as the USATC S100 Class and designed for shunting duties in Europe during the Second World War, after the war fifteen of these engines were sold to the Southern Railway where they were used as dockyard shunters at Southampton. There, they worked alongside the LB&SCR E2s (Thomas' class). Both classes were replaced by BR Class 07 diesels (Salty's class) in 1962, though members of the class remained in service on departmental duties until 1966.
Four members of this class are preserved, one at the Bluebell Railway. Two S100s have also been bought from the former Yugoslavia and modified to USA condition.
From her debut up until The Great Race and in the first season of The Adventures on Sodor, Rosie was painted lavender with light grey tank panels, gold boiler bands, red lining and wheels, and light grey wheel rims.
Starting from Season 21 onwards and Season 2 of The Adventures on Sodor, Rosie's livery is cherry red with dark raspberry tank panels, gold boiler bands and light grey lining. She will have the letters "NWR" written on her tank panels in light grey and the number "37" in light grey under her cab windows. Rosie retains her red wheels with light grey rims.
- Season 1 - Spencer the Show-Off (cameo), Bill and Ben (cameo), and Gordon, Spencer and the Flying Scotsman
- Thomas and the Storm (cameo)
- Rosie was the first engine of several things:
- The first engine of an American class introduced in the television series, and the second such engine (after Stanley) introduced in the franchise overall.
- The first engine in the television series to show any form of affection towards Thomas.
- The first engine in the television series to have her debut livery changed permanently, and the third character in the television series overall, the first being S.C. Ruffey and the second being Bulgy.
- The first engine in the television series to receive a number who didn't already have one.
- The first engine in the television series to be lettered for the North Western Railway. She is the second in the franchise overall after Pip and Emma.
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Geoffrey • Bill and Ben • Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • Molly • Neville • Rosie • Whiff • Stanley • Hank • Flora • Victor • Charlie • Bash and Dash • Ferdinand • Scruff • Belle • Porter • Timothy • Marion • Glynn • Ryan • Diesel • Daisy • BoCo • Mavis • Derek • Diesel 10 • 'Arry and Bert • Salty • Dennis • Den • Dart • Sidney • Paxton • Norman • Philip • Hugo • Flynn • Winston • Stafford|