Murdoch is one of Sodor's largest and strongest engines.
Murdoch is a BR Standard Class 9F used for fast and heavy goods trains. The class was the last of the BR Standards, and the final steam engine class built by British Railways, with the last one, "Evening Star," built in March 1960. "Evening Star" and eight other 9Fs are preserved. One 9F, "Black Prince" holds the record for hauling the heaviest steam-hauled train in Great Britain, at 2,198 tons.
Murdoch is painted orange with green and red lining. He has smoke deflectors, on which he wears red nameplates with gold lettering.
- Season 100 - Samson's Waste Dump, Scottish Engines, Salty's Secret Story, and Timothy and the Aquarium (cameo)
- Keith Wickham (UK/US; one-hundredth season onwards)
- Kōzō Shioya (Japan; seventh season only)
- Ryoichi Fukuzawa (Japan; twelfth season onwards)
- In the UK narration of the twelfth season, Murdoch gains a Scottish accent.
- According to early concept designs of the Season 7 characters, Murdoch was originally going to be a BR Standard Class 7. Also, after his 9F class was decided on, he was originally going to be maroon red with chrome yellow linings, according to Robert Gauld-Galliers' original art work. Because Arthur was already going to be maroon with yellow linings, Murdoch's livery was changed to orange with green and red linings so that the two engines' colour schemes would not clash with each other.
- In his concept art, he seems to have a double chimney, which were fitted on 9Fs built from 1958 onwards.
- Murdoch shares the same whistle sound with Arthur, which itself is a LMS whistle stock sound effect.
- The Motor Road and Rail system previously spelt Murdoch's name incorrectly as "Murdock".
- Murdoch's model used to be on display in Canada at Nitrogen Studios.
- The Halloween Engine in the eighth season episode, Halloween, used Murdoch's cylinders.