Edward is a blue tender engine who works on the Wellsworth-Brendam Branch Line.
Edward is a mixed traffic engine. He spends most of his time working on his branch line, shunting, and keeping Bill and Ben out of trouble. He also works at Brendam Docks from time to time. Due to his experience, The Fat Controller often speaks to Edward to assess the madness of the engines and to help him make important decisions.
Edward is kindhearted and always keen to help a friend in need. The small engines trust him to lend a listening ear and sympathetic advice. He is a hard worker too, and always does his best to finish a job. If ever an engine misbehaves or acts out, it's Edward that the Fat Controller turns to in order to soothe things out.
Sadly, the big engines often see Edward as old-fashioned and slow. While it is true he is the oldest engine on the North Western Railway - it must be noted he helped build it - he has proved time and time again that he is more than capable of working as hard as any engine, but he is a more clever and wiser engine, too. In fact, he and BoCo are the only engines who look after Bill and Ben, and know when to put them in their place should they misbehave, and like any other wise old engine, he stands for no nonsense from anyone, especially from the bigger engines.
Edward is painted in the NWR's blue livery with red and yellow lining and the number "2" painted on his tender sides in bright yellow with a red border.
Before arriving on Sodor, Edward was painted in the Furness Railway's Indian Red livery with the letters "FR" written in yellow on his tender sides and black wheels.
- Season 1 - Geoffrey's Real, Percy's Oil Spill (cameo), Edward Tries His Best, Henry the Warrior, Skarloey Comes Home (does not speak), Snowdrift (cameo), Bill and Ben, Gordon, Spencer and the Flying Scotsman (cameo), and Tinsel on the Tracks
- Season 2 - Disappearing Diesel (cameo), Unique Engines, Haunted Henry's Forest, The New Controller, Jack and the Quack (cameo), Back to Misty Island (does not speak), Sodor Day, The Ghostly Tale of Timothy, Pedro Deep Down, Trouble with Brake Vans, and Ministry (cameo)
- Season 3 - Edward's Discovery
- Edward is series creator OliverDuckandToad11's second favourite character, right behind Oliver.
- Edward was the very first character created for the Railway Series, in 1943.
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Bill and Ben • Daisy • BoCo • Bear • Neil • Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • Molly • Neville • Rosie • Whiff • Stanley • Hank • Flora • Victor • Charlie • Bash and Dash • Ferdinand • Scruff • Belle • Porter • Timothy • Marion • Logan • Glynn • Ryan • Geoffrey • Diesel • Mavis • Derek • Diesel 10 • 'Arry and Bert • Salty • Dennis • Den • Dart • Sidney • Paxton • Norman • Philip • Flynn • Winston • Stafford • Dustin|